Monday, January 9, 2012

Tattoos

tumblr_lldrhazroy1qzg5ooo1_500

h5


tumblr_lvtouh61q61qb456eo1_500


Dear Charlotte,
First of all, you're in Botswana. HOW can this be?! I find it hard to believe you are actually there in Africa, especially because we're communicating via email so often. It seems like in actuality you're just at home pretending to be in Africa as this elaborate prank on me. You'll show up at school one day and be like, "You actually BELIEVED me?! HAH you're dumb!" and then life will continue on.
Now to focus on the topic at hand: tattoos. We have discussed them often recently and I was just thinking how my view on them has changed over the years. When I was younger I thought they were the trashiest most idiotic things, especially when I'd hear stories about a girl getting her boyfriend's name tattooed on her ass, only to break up with him the following week.
But now, I'm pretty sure when I turn 18 I want one. It would have to be simple, classy, small, and in the vicinity of my wrist or ankle, so as not to get creepy and wrinkly when I get old. The main reason I want one is as a reminder of something. Maybe a simple command like "Listen" really small on my right wrist, or the sign for "infinite" which has a lot of meaning for me, thanks to The Perks of Being a Wallflower. We've even talked about each of us making a drawing to have done when we're eighteen. Personally I'm all for it.
In the back of my mind I do sort of wonder if I just want one because I think girls with tattoos on tumblr look really cool with them. I mean if I'm being honest appearance does have a teeeeny bit to do with my want for a tattoo, but really it mostly has to do with wanting to have a reminder of a good thing.
Apparently bodies have been found dating back up to 5,000 years ago that are tattooed which I think is pretty intriguing. That means that humans almost have an instinct to brand symbols on themselves. I guess it's all just part of a battle to give our lives meaning.
The utter permanence of it does freak me out though.
Have you always been cool with tattoos or is it only recently? How did you used to think of them? Can you picture yourself as a cool old cat lady with a bunch of tats? (< kinda how I picture myself in the future HAWW)
I'LL BE SEEING YOU (except not because you're in Botswana, WAHH),
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment